How to store nuts
by Jes @SnackFirst on Jan 09, 2018
Nuts can help to fight cancer, lose weight and delay ageing. Which is why more people are getting used to eating a handful or nuts every day and it definitely makes sense to buy our 1kg value bag, which is much cheaper than what you can find in supermarket.
Nonetheless, the top concern is, 1kg sounds like too much!
How can they finish them within a week or month? Answer: You don't have to finish them in a week. They can be stored in room temperature for 1 to 2 months but to extend their shelf life, it is best to store it in the fridge. They will still taste good up to 6 months! For a longer shelf life, you can even freeze them for up to 1 year.
Though if you really can't finish them within 3 months, please buy our nuts in 200g instead.
There are some points to take note to ensure maximum freshness:
1) Keep in air-tight containers. We are using the thickest ziplock bags to package your nuts but they will not be better than air-tight containers.
2) Don't throw away the silica gel bag when you transfer to air-tight containers. The silica gel bags will help to reduce humidity and in turn, prevent rancidity.
3) Store nuts away from sunlight or heat as those will affect the taste and texture of the nuts.
4) Isolate nuts from strong-smelling food such as onion, durian, medicinal herbs or spices as nuts tend to absorb the odour of the surroundings.
5) Do not bring the nuts in and out of the fridge too many times. The condensation and temperature change may cause a degradation on the freshness of the nuts.
If all else fails and you find the nuts taste stale after some time, you can bake or roast the nuts at 180C for 10 minutes and they will taste more crunchy. It is likely if you follow the 5 steps, you will not ever find your nuts go stale again.
However, if the nuts turn rancid, which means there is a strong smell and unpleasant taste of oil, then nothing can be done to salvage the nuts. Nuts like macadamia, walnuts and brazil nuts turn rancid faster than others due to their high healthy fats content, while cashew, pistachio and pecans lose their crunchiness faster than other nuts.
Occasionally, SingPost may take longer than usual to deliver or your mail may get lost. If you find the nuts taste rancid, drop us a note so that we can arrange another bag for you. We would encourage you to buy at least 1kg so that a courier service can be arranged.
Point to note: Those people who are afraid they can't finish within the month? Most of them bought another 1kg within 2 weeks. Now that always boost our confidence in our quality :)